Saturday 7 July 2012

Confessions of a Project Obsessed Mother

I've mentioned before that I have a slight mania for project-planning.
As soon as I have a quiet moment: most often when I'm feeding Phoebe, my mind will start to wander and a project topic will crop up, I'll take a few notes, and the next thing I know I have two or more months of activities all planned out.
 I don't even need to be particularly idle, I've come up with projects while sewing and watching television*, while looking up something I came across while reading**, or simply while looking up ideas for other projects.
Even when I had an idea for an activity to break up the concerted workload of the various projects I'd planned I found myself turning it into a project.
 What's particularly silly is that we intend to give the girls quite a lot of autonomy in choosing their studies: we'll make suggestions, but we want them to study subjects that interest them, so there's no guarantee that any of these projects will ever see the light of day.
 So, lest all my hard work be lost in obscurity forever, and more importantly lest you think that I am kidding about this, I present a list of Projects I have Planned.
 Just the titles though, it's more fun if I don't tell you what they're actually about.

In No Particular Order:

Worms and Butterflies***
Opal Surveys
My Family
Dinosaurs and Fossils
World Religion and Mythology
Vikings
Volcanoes
Archaeology
Ancient Civilisations
Putting On A Play
Something Chemical
Cromwell and the Stuarts
Fireworks!
MIGOWIY**** 1: Household Management and Gender Politics
MIGOWIY 2: Germs and Medicine
MIGOWIY 3: Activism
Vaccines and War Machines
Where Food Comes From
The Game of Conquest
Winter Holidays
What Makes Weather?
Water
Myths and Monsters
Glass
The Nine Times Table Challenge
Truth and Lies
Calligraphy
Turing

And those are just the ones I had on my phone.


*Ok, it was School of Hard Sums, I admit.
** Prince Rupert's Drop, take a look.
*** Hey! We've done that one!
**** Mummy's Ill, Get On With It Yourself


No comments:

Post a Comment